Part of Formula Varsity 2012 event regulation, there is requirement for ‘Acceleration & Brake Test. The purpose of acceleration and braking test is to evaluate the car acceleration and braking performance in a straight line on flat pavement.
Accelerate and Brake test procedure:
1) The car and brake test will begin from a standing start over a distance of 50 m on a flat surface.
2) The foremost part of the car will be staged at 0.30 m behind the starting line.
3) A yellow flag will be used to indicate the approval to begin, time starts only after the vehicle crosses the start line.
4) The test can be repeated ONCE only for each team.
5) The total distance to accelerate is 35 m from the start line. When the foremost part of the car reaches the 35 m line also, the driver must apply the brake to stop. Total distance between the rearmost of the car and the 35 m line will be measured.
6) The yellow flag will be used at 35 m line to indicate to drivers can start to brake.
7) The green flag will be used to indicate the approved brake and accelerate test is success.
8) The red flag will be used to indicate that brake test and acceleration test has failed.
9) Marks will be given according to the total distance and the total time needed for a vehicle to completely stop. The shorter the distance and the time is, the higher the marks are.
10) The following equation is used to determine the scores for the event: